Thursday, June 18, 2009

and Viola!

I was eager to get started on my fabric box craft and I'm so glad I took this on! It looks amazing!
Another craft found on womansday.com, here's what I did:

Fabric-Covered Boxes Craft Project

Fabric-Covered Boxes Craft Project

Photo: © Jeff McNamara

Skill Level: Beginner

Materials:
Empty box
Enough fabric to cover the top, sides and bottom of box
Scissors
Mod Podge, or other craft glue
Paintbrush
2-inch-wide grosgrain ribbon

Directions:
1. Center the bottom of the box over the back side of the fabric. Trim the fabric so that there is enough to pull up and cover the sides, plus 1 inch.

2. Apply Mod Podge to the bottom of the box with the paintbrush. Place the box onto the back side of the fabric and smooth out any wrinkles.

3. Apply Mod Podge to one of the longer sides of the box, pull up the fabric to cover the side. Apply glue along the top inner edge of the box, fold over the fabric and press in place. Repeat on the other long side.

4. Apply Mod Podge to short sides of box, fold in the fabric as you would with a giftwrap, pull fabric up to cover the short ends. You may trim away excess at fabric corners and fold in raw edges before applying fabric to create a smoother finish if desired. Fold over and glue the raw edges of the fabric to the inside of the box.

5. Repeat Steps 1 through 4 to cover the lid.

6. Cut a 3-inch piece of ribbon and fold in half to form a loop. Glue the loop to the inside edge of the lid, letting loop extend about an inch. Let dry. Cover box with lid.

And here's mine:

Before







After


























My biggest suggestions would be to pay attention to the amount of glue that you're applying to the box, especially if you're using a thin fabric. Too much and it will seep right through and leave a big nasty stain, as I realized with a small portion of the bottom of my box. I ironed the fabric before I started even though it doesn't say that in the directions. It took a little bit of time to get the last two sides to look pretty folded, because there is extra fabric underneath so I couldn't really find a way to make it totally smooth... but I'm no perfectionist. I also used a hot glue gun to get those sides to stick on the inside because they were thicker.

And I used mine to hold my fabrics :)






Well now I'm off to clean up my mess, and get some zzz's. Tomorrow's friday!
Bye for now,
Kate

1 comment:

  1. this is awesome and totally going to copy :)

    ReplyDelete